Back on the coast

Better results today. Covered the stretch from the southern end of Donna Nook to Grainthorpe Marsh. Here's the results: Whooper Swan, Tundra Bean Goose, 3 Hen Harrier (2 males), 3 Merlin, 4 Barn Owl, the wintering Greenshank, 75+ Twite, the wintering flock of Goldfinch at Pyes numbered 15 & finally a Lapland Bunting showed well N of Pyes.
The Tundra Bean has apparently been present at the southern end of Donna Nook since Nov & is believed to be the individual originally seen at Saltfleet Haven in the same month - I saw that Beanie, so if it is the same then I've reconnected with it exactly 100 days later.
Seeing 3 Hen Harriers today was my highest day total of the winter. They are one of my favourite raptors & I always savour each time I see one, especially when I think of the threat of persecution they continually face when back on their breeding grounds. Where did these 3 birds originate from? Continent, UK or both? I wonder how many birds are currently wintering on our stretch of coastline between Tetney & Rimac? I watched a female N of Howden's this am in the company of a male, then not long before last light a female flew N towards Pyes and then 20mins later was heading back south in determined flight over pylons in the direction of Howdens - I've presumed it to be the same female. Whilst Hen Harrier numbers can fluctuate as birds readily move from one area to another, one thing I do know is there are clearly 2 separate males along our coast that continue to remain site faithful (at least whilst hunting), with possibly a 3rd male also present.

More signs that spring is getting near today.
Snowdrops in flower...

... Skylarks were singing & some of the hairy locals were getting horny...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.