The King finally pays a visit to Lincs

Having heard stories of strange folk in the deepest, darkest south of the county including the one about brothers & sisters being far closer than they should be, I had successfully managed to resist visiting the area so far this year. However, when an eclipse drake King Eider (a 1st for Lincs) had been found the previous evening & was still there today, my resistance finally crumbled. The eider was never close but close enough to see the diagnostic orange bill with swelling at the base. The bird also showed a whitish breastband & small white patches could be seen on the forewings. It only loosely associated with the Common Eiders, always keeping a little distance from any of this species. It is in heavy moult and appears unable to fly.
Also seen: 3 Marsh Harriers, Peregrine, Merlin, Barn Owl, 5 Dark-bellied Brent Geese, 2 Whimbrel, 2 Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, 10 Little Tern, 4 Wheatear & 35 Yellow Wagtail. Finally, a remarkable 240 Little Egrets roosted - the most Little Egrets I've ever seen in one place.
This brings my half-hearted Lincs list to 292, not bad considering I work Mon to Fri, 9 to 5 + I've missed birds like Collared Pratincole & White Stork because I quite simply couldn't be arsed to make the trips at the time.

On arriving in the Lincolnshire fens, the locals started coming out to greet me.
The chap below was particularly keen...


Dark-bellied Brent Goose - my 1st of the autumn


The most remote bird hide in Lincs?

The Boston fleet return up the River Witham


Black-tailed Godwit (race islandica) - wonder what movements this colour-ringed bird has made

Finally, a big thanks to Six Fingers Steve for giving me directions when I got a bit lost...




3 comments:

  1. Iam hoping the locals are going to be a little friendlier when i visit on saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quality post mate - think I saw the fella with the chainsaw when I was down those parts last!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just make sure u always get outta there before nightfall :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.