Cleethorpes

With strong to gale force southerlies and frequent persistent showers, I decided not to venture far today. Checked N Cleethorpes first to see if a Purple Sandpiper had come back to winter but no joy. Only bird of real note in the difficult conditions was the female Scaup still present on the boating lake in the company of 16 Tufted Duck. 3 Pochard were also on the lake.

Scaup


Pochard - smart duck


Greater White-fronted Goose or hybrid (with Greylag Goose left)


(click for larger image)
I think the council are aiming a little too high with the bird species they are hoping to attract to the boating lake, especially considering the size of the reedbeds (see below). I also don't fancy your chances of seeing the damselfly they have chosen to picture.

3 comments:

  1. Must have just missed you yesterday - Scaup was always in the middle of the lake (gutted). Also missed the cetti's, crane and bitterns - next time perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the only birder mad enough to be out in those gale force and wet conditions :-)
    I had actually dipped on the Scaup on a previous visit, apparently it's often only on the lake early morning when its quiet, then it moves to the nearby country park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WISH, WHAT ARE THERE ON ???????????????? Would like some

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.