Revisiting some old pics

Grey-headed Wagtail
Kos, May 2008

Having trawled through some old photos taken when I visited Kos in May 2008, I came across the above shot which I must've clearly overlooked at the time. All of the Yellow Wagtails I encountered during my week trip were Black-headed Wagtails (Motacilla flava feldegg), or so I thought! The above individual clearly fits a migrant Grey-headed Wagtail (Motacilla flava thunbergi) - click the photo for an enlarged image. All of this is personally significant as it's the first time I've encountered this race of Yellow Wagtail. The moral of the story - make sure you check any photos you've taken very carefully!

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen that bird, really good photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob. After a bit of reading I see that Grey-headed Wagtail breeds in Scandinavia & N Russia so the bird above still had quite a long journey ahead of it when I saw it on Kos.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.