Donna Nook/Pyes Hall 27/3/10

A chilly, moderate westerly with sunny intervals today. Star bird was a female Bullfinch that flew over me calling and landed in a hawthorn bush immediately north of the car park. Bullfinches are very scarce birds in the Donna Nook area and I can back that up because this was my 1st ever for the patch! 5 Chiffchaffs were the only spring migrants I came across today. Peregrine also seen and a confiding Twite in exactly the same spot I had seen two on 23/3. A Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell were my first butterflies of the year. Just to add a fellow birder saw a male Hen Harrier in the area earlier in the day and this is likely to be the wintering male, which will no doubt be leaving for its breeding quarters anyday now - fingers crossed he has a successful breeding season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.