Donna Nook 28/08/10

With Wrynecks, Barred & Wood Warblers across the water in the Spurn area & an Icterine reported at Sea View, I thought I'd better check the local patch. In blustery conditions all I could manage were a few Willow Warblers, Lesser Whitethroats & a Reed Warbler. 3 Marsh Harriers together over Pyes was a nice sight and a fourth bird was seen on the southern section of the reserve. Other birds seen included Merlin, Whimbrel, 5 Green Sandpiper & 3 Greenshank. I then checked the tide edge & though I failed to see any skuas or shearwaters, I was surprised to find a Purple Sandpiper there. I've only ever seen one previous bird on the patch and that was along the same stretch of beach almost exactly a year ago (30/8/09). Purple Sandpipers are quite a scarce sight in Lincolnshire as we just don't have the right habitat for them and Donna Nook reflects this with sand & mud flats & no rocky habitat whatsoever. Purple Sandpiper is one of my favourite waders, probably because they are usually quite approachable - this particular individual was no exception....



2 comments:

  1. Very nice matey,nice to see you back on the blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures Chris!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.