Covenham Reservoir 10/01/17

Having realised I'd not managed to bump into a Med Gull since September I decided to actually make an effort today to see some. In previous years Covenham Reservoir was a regular winter birding spot for me but I hadn't paid it a visit at all this winter - this largely due to concentrating my efforts at Tetney. The reservoir is usually a reliable winter site for Med Gulls from late afternoon.
Weatherwise it was sunny with a W F4 easing to F3 later in the day.
It turned out to be a productive visit as I managed to pick out 3 Med Gulls (an adult & 2x2CY birds) in amongst the masses of Common and Black-headed Gulls
Other highlights were 2 Whooper Swan, 5 Goosander (4 drakes), 2 Scaup, Common Buzzard, Barn Owl and Grey Wagtail.

  Scaup 

Nice to see the Whoopers but for a species that remains in a tight family unit it was sad to see only one adult and one youngster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.